[Cob] woodchip clay in Spain- adding lime in Canada

Charmaine Taylor dirtcheapbuilderbooks at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 15:47:51 CDT 2009

WOODCHIP CLAY is also a German method used for hundreds of years, in
multistory framed buildings.  Steve Chappell of Fox Maple teaches this
along with German Builder Frank Andressen.

you can read the past newsletter with articles on this at www.foxmaple.com

It is so easy, and my FAVORITE method of wall infill.   you can mix 12
p of sawdust or Wood Chip, with 3-4 parts clay/ slip, and 1 part lime
slip. ( or lime powder/slurry)

 Or skip the lime- but I add it to all my mateials to reduce mold,
bugs, add fire resistance, etc.

I used a wringer washer* that mixes the  mixture gently in about 30
minutes of chugging back and forth in the tub.  or a paint stem mixer
on a large hand drill can mix, or mix by hand with gloves if you  add
the lime.

OR ( labor intensive)   toss like like straw clay-- and lightly pack
into  frames, use lathe or reed mats or flat wood as the temp or
permanent forms.  I have also soaked cheese cloth in clay slip-
stretched it and stapled up on to the 2x6s and  filled the  form, the
cheesecloth will bulge out if overstuffed, so lightly does it, and
when dry the cloth can be plastered over directly.  as with lathe, or
other form holding materials- like plywood, pegboard, etc.   you can
leave it up, or remove once walls are cured in a few weeks.  or
PREcast blocks of WCC and place into walls to fit the space, use wet
mix as the mortar.  you will get a nice fire resistant, insulate
material that is easy for one person to do working alone, and for odd
spaces.

 ** the tall cone with fins turns 180 degrees, back and forth in the
washer, and is the easirst least noisy mixer ever!

  see free articles on LIME and wood chip/sawdust clay
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com/frestufwitor.html

 --
Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
Toll Free Order: 1-888-441-1632