[Cob] California and "Green Building Code" (Damon Howell)

Dean Sherwin costman at verizon.net
Fri Sep 25 14:16:18 CDT 2009

At 03:00 PM 9/25/2009, you wrote:
>Although officials do seem to be
>slightly interested in Jasper GA, they get cold feet and always
>revert back to the book when it comes to signing off on something.
>So, if cob was in there, with loose regulations, the problem would go
>away. What's England do? They have building codes, right? Let's adopt
>theirs.

I haven't been in touch with cob scene in UK for a few years but I
know that when new building regulations came out with stricter energy
requirements, there was a problem with getting cob buildings to
comply.  so for one thing people have looked at alternative layering
or construction methods to incorporate insulation.
It's only comparitively recently that it has been possible to build
cob structures at all, in the land of their origin  and my birth,
Devon.  British building regs used to be more onerous than here but
maybe the pendulum has swung somewhat.
As I said, get hold of the adobe chapter and show that to code officials.

Dean Sherwin CPE
Certified Professional Estimator
LEED Accredited Professional
CONSTRUCTION COST MANAGEMENT