[Cob] California and "Green Building Code" (Damon Howell)

john fordice otherfish at comcast.net
Fri Sep 25 22:05:43 CDT 2009

As far as codification of cob goes, I've been proposing this for
years & have gone so far as writing a proposed research & testing
program and starting a nonprofit, the Cob Research institute" (CRI)
to do the needed research to form the basis of a coherent Cob
Building Code.  This is a critical step in getting cob into wide
acceptance.  It's a huge project & needs funding.  Hope to get the
CRI fully nonprofit within the next few months & begin the search for
funding.  Estimates are $1,000,000 & several years to accomplish
getting cob into the building code.  Currently in the throes of Fed
nonprofit tax status approval.  Will keep the list posted on progress.

Regarding energy compliance of cob.  The current California T24
Energy Compliance regulations. will allow a cob building to comply if
there is insulation added.  It's possible that a hybrid cob building
with just cob at the East / South / and West exterior walls & the
North wall with straw bales as exterior insulation will be accepted.
The building needs to have an R value for it's exterior walls which
is specific to the climate zone in which it is located.  By a process
of "weighted averaging" with straw bales which have an allowed R
value of R30, when combined with the very low R value of cob, it is
possible to achieve the required average minimum R value (usually R13
or R19).  By combing this with the thermal mass of the cob, and the
floor (maybe) and roof insulation, it is possible to achieve the
required energy compliance.  This is done with the use of a dedicated
computer program for energy compliance.  It's the same program used
to model compliance for buildings of "standard" construction.  It's a
numbers game, but it is possible.  Any energy compliance consultant
with his / her salt should be able to do this.
I'll assume this process to be similar in other states of the US, but
don't know for sure.

john fordice  -  CRI