[Cob] cob and energy and codes

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Mon Sep 28 11:17:39 CDT 2009

I might want to argue that by using natural, local material and doing
it oneself saves oodles of energy that other, perhaps higher R value
homes don't even consider...
Tys

Very good point, that's why many cobbers say it's so "eco-friendly."
But that's a bad word. I'm not sure if I agree with the argument that
cob isn't energy efficient. Why are they so stuck on insulation, are
they trying to prop up the "pink panther" by requiring their product?
Passive solar construction uses mass that doesn't have a high R
value, such as cob, but the building does the heating and cooling
itself and doesn't need much supplement. To me, that says out loud
passive solar design should be looked at with a higher degree of
respect among code writers.
Damon in GA