[Cob] living with no electricity

howard at earthandstraw.com howard at earthandstraw.com
Wed Sep 30 09:14:57 CDT 2009

it takes a village...

...and I don't mean the "eco-village" someone described earlier, I mean one in which all work to provide a life for one another.

I experienced this briefly from 1973-1983 on an intentional collective community and we did not have electricity in our homes for 5 years.  We used kerosene lamps for evening light and went to bed and got up early. It was not easy but it was liberating in many ways.  The collective ended in 1983 and while the community still exists it is not the same.  Despite many leaving the place the experience bonded many of these people together in a spiritual way.  For the collective to have lasted there were issues that needed to be worked out but somehow that didn't happen, instead they gave up  the collective idea.  Tribal organization is collective, it can be a very good experience and I think a new form of tribalism is our only real chance to live sustainably.

Howard Switzer, Architect
668 Hurricane Creek Road
Linden, TN 37096
931-589-6513