[Cob] size of houses and building sustainably

Robert Alcock ralcock at euskalnet.net
Fri Oct 2 04:51:47 CDT 2009

Just wanted to pitch on this discussion of sustainability and house size.
Our straw bale/cob hybrid house and study centre, Abrazo House (www.abrazohouse.org), is about 180 suqare metres (1800 square feet) in useable floor area. Initially I would have preferred to build 2 separate, smaller, buildings - but the local building regs didn't allow that. But in fact, it's probably more efficient to do it as one larger building - more volume to surface area ratio. In any case, our "house" is going to be the ground floor (100m2 for a family of 4) and the upstairs will be for work, classes, guests, etc.
Sustainability means a process being able to continue, in principle, far into the future. Speaking for myself, I see our work in building Snail Cabin and Abrazo House as being the first steps in learning to build not just a house for one family, but a sustainable local economy and culture for the next thousand years.

Robert