[Cob] size of houses and building sustainably

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Fri Oct 2 15:02:22 CDT 2009

Robert, you guys at the Abrazo House have much more experience than
I, but I noticed from the photos on your website that most of your
work is by machinery. Hardly sustainable, don't you think? Not
knocking it at all, in fact, I encourage the use of machinery because
otherwise it's a pain in the back. I have finally come to understand
there is such thing as good enough after I did it all by hand. Why by
hand? Just to show myself I could. I'll do everything with a machine
if there is a next time! But sustainable? Not as long as there is a
machine involved. If we all built our homes from cob but with
machines it would only offset the energy it takes to cut and mill
timber, mine and form steel, and heat sand and make cement. There is
no REAL savings as far as Earth is concerned. But still, I would
probably sleep better at night knowing my cob house was accepted by
building officials. I mean one day I might want a family but if DFCS
found out they'd put an end to it because the county didn't approve
of my cob house. I look forward to the day we all can build cob
legally. - Damon