[Cob] size of houses and building sustainably

Robert Alcock ralcock at euskalnet.net
Mon Oct 5 03:24:08 CDT 2009

Actually, most of the work we do is by hand or using hand-held tools
(some manual, some electrical). We use a rotavator for mixing cob and a
cement mixer for making slip to apply to the bales. This is actually
more energy-efficient than doing it by hand and foot, unless the people
doing the mixing are eating a locally, sustainably grown diet - remember
that every calorie you eat equals typically 10 calories of fossil fuel
in growing, transporting, processing, packaging, etc!

I am well aware that we are not building sustainably yet - we are only
trying to learn to do so. I think that the most sustainable way of
mixing cob (at least the mineral components) would be to use earthworms.
They are the experts. Lay down your layers of sand and clay, put some
earthworm food (leaves, etc) on top, and let them go to work. A couple
of years later, you add the straw, give it a final mix and away you go.
But you need to be patient!

There's a post about mixing cob with a rotavator on our website, at
http://www.abrazohouse.org/?p=183

All the best

Robert