[Cob] size of houses and building sustainably

Dean Sherwin costman at verizon.net
Mon Oct 5 09:48:53 CDT 2009

Building sustainably does not mean living in the stone age.  A
building typically uses 90% or so of the total resources (that means
essentially, energy) consumed during its long life, the other 10%
during its construction.  So designing and building for  low energy
use and durability is by far the most important part of
sustainability.  The use of a machine for a few days is such a minor
part.  It can easily be offset by other factors - less journeys by
workers to the site since they dont have to do all that hand
construction, another couple of square feet on your solar  collector,
a better window...  Lets make earth in general and cob in particular
a viable material for our sustainable future.

At 03:00 PM 10/3/2009, you wrote:
>But sustainable? Not as long as there is a
>machine involved. If we all built our homes from cob but with
>machines it would only offset the energy it takes to cut and mill
>timber, mine and form steel, and heat sand and make cement. There is
>no REAL savings as far as Earth is concerned

Dean Sherwin CPE
Certified Professional Estimator
LEED Accredited Professional
CONSTRUCTION COST MANAGEMENT