[Cob] Returned while changing email addresses

Janet Standeford janet.standeford at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 21:15:46 CDT 2009

Sorry. This was returned to me while changing email addresses so will
submit now.

more:

I'll share more but didn't want to get everyone's hopes up too soon. I
believe this will go through but I have to walk a quiet line with it
until it's finished and I have a certificate of occupancy. I had hoped
to really advertise it during the process but don't want to scare the
building department with the thought that everyone will want to build
the same way.

I know that there may be a handful in the area that will be prompted to
build with cob and earth bag but most people are still stuck on stick.
Advertising can come after the house is approved.

The officials here are pretty open to new ways of building even though
it is ancient. They watched a straw bale house being built and are
jazzed about it.

I should know if mine is permitted by early spring at the latest. From
the time of approval till the time I have to have the permit paid for
will be 6 months and I'll need every bit of that to save for it. If I
can't do anything more than get the foundation in next year, I'll be
happy. But if I can get the straw before winter this year or early
Summer next year then we will have a mud party!

I need to build a wall approx 2-3 feet at the base and about 9-10 feet
high around an area approximately 1000 feet to enclose part of the
seasonal spring, the yard and house as well as build the house. Perhaps
someone would like to count on putting some workshops together for this?
The house will need to be done first then the wall. A wood shed will be
about 12x12 with a roof connecting it to the side of the house where a
wood drop will have an opening next to the fireplace or rocket stove.

Does anyone here know of a permitted rocket stove in OR? I was just told
by one person on the list that he thought there was one. I would change
from fireplace to that in a heartbeat if I could get info on this.

Thanks :-)