[Cob] plastic jugs in walls?

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Thu Dec 10 21:16:44 CST 2009

	If you are making good quality cob the wall can be as thin as 7
inches. At cob cottage in Coquille they have been retying bales of
straw and chain sawing them half. The half bales are stuck in the
wall and this results in an insulation layer on the outside of 7 inch
thick cob walls. It saves tones of cob.
	I just finished putting a cob wall on top of two cinderblock
retaining walls 7.5 inches thick. Two 7 inch thick cob walls support
12 foot living roof 50 pounds per square foot.  They are short cob
walls with a good overhang so I expect no trouble supporting the weight.
Ed