[Cob] plastic jugs in walls?

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Fri Dec 11 18:14:45 CST 2009

John:
	The walls in Coquille are two stories high but 6 foot 6 inch
stories.  I do not think Coquille is in an earth quake zone so that
may not be a consideration. Washington, DC is not an earthquake zone
so when I figured the weight of my roof divided by the number of
square inches in the wall I got 10 to 20 pounds per square inch, well
within the load bearing capacity of cob.
	The rules applied to adobe are excessively conservative for cob. It
is impossible to get the wet mud mortar to stick to dry mud bricks so
the mortar joints form fracture lines which do not exist in cob. I
build children's playhouses out of cob because if I built a playhouse
in a public park from adobe people would be able to nock the bricks
off the wall with their fist. When I build a playhouse from cob you
need a sledge hammer to destroy the walls. Try making two a small
test walls 4 inches thick and destroying them. There is simply no
comparison between adobe and cob.
	Have you tried searching the CobWeb for articles about earthquakes
Issue Twenty Winter 2005 they did a seismic test on cob and it stood
up to level 8 on the Richter scale. Of course a test like that is a
meaningless because the structure was built by experienced  cobbers
who knew the building would be tested and built accordingly. My walls
are slopped together rototiller cob made with chopped straw and
probably not a fraction as good as cob walls built specifically to
withstand earthquakes. Still they are impressively strong.
Ed