[Cob] Cob) Mold and fungus

Dean Sherwin costman at verizon.net
Thu Jan 7 10:32:23 CST 2010

I did not see anyone mention borax or boric acid.  I sprayed boric
acid on the lower 3' of my (green) house to discourage mold as well
as termites.  Only the mold part applies to cob probably, and that
only where there may be damp in the future.  Remember damp is caused
in basements as much by condensation on cold surfaces as by
leaks;  the same could possibly apply to cob, with its high thermal
mass, in humid locations  (But is earth the right material here in
the first place?).  Borax is definitely better and safer than bleach
for mold.  Unlike vinegar, it will tend to linger in the building
material, providing some degree of prevention in the future.
Dean Sherwin

>Bleach is likely more toxic to people than the mold.   But Baking
>soda &
>
>vinegar are excellent for killing mold.  I would use baking soda
>and a
>
>little water to wash it off.  Then soak some vinegar on it.  It is
>not
>
>possible or wise to kill all mold as it lives everywhere.
>

>Check out my site-> www.BryanTree.Com
>
>Bryan Hilbert
>>Cob) Mold and fungus
>

>------------------------------
>
>Message: 5
>Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 10:36:46 -0600
>From: <howard at earthandstraw.com>
>Subject: Re: [Cob] mold or fungus?
>To: <coblist at deatech.com>
>
> >Wet straw = mold, but only if it's exposed to an oxygen rich
>environment....not from the clay itself.
>

>I agree completely.  And when the moisture is gone the mold will be too.

>End of Coblist Digest, Vol 8, Issue 4
>*************************************

Dean Sherwin CPE
Certified Professional Estimator