[Cob] Engineered Cob House Plans

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Tue Feb 9 15:52:33 CST 2010

Janet,
	I have been in agreement with building modular homes out of cob for
quite some time. I also see that if we build our cob homes to look
like regular homes (i.e. stick built, poured concrete, cinder block)
we have a far better chance of getting accepted by regular folks who
know that will work. I'm sorry, but every time a new formless
building is erected with cob a disservice is done to our current
predicament . That would be that honest individuals who want to obey
the law cannot build because most cobbers are looked at as clueless.
Why? Because our building inspectors see pictures of cob homes and
say "well, that looks like a nice fairy tale home, but it will not
work in the real world." And from what we keep hearing, it's not
about numbers. They will accept it if they are liberal enough. And
the best way to gain their approval is show them something they've
seen before and make one change (it's built with cob).
Damon