[Cob] Engineered Cob House Plans

Janet Standeford janet.standeford at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 15:16:25 CST 2010

On 2/9/2010 1:52 PM, Damon Howell wrote:
> Janet,
>     I have been in agreement with building modular homes out of cob
> for quite some time. I also see that if we build our cob homes to look
> like regular homes (i.e. stick built, poured concrete, cinder block)
> we have a far better chance of getting accepted by regular folks who
> know that will work.

Hi Damon,
You should have seen the relief on the faces of the building officials
when I told them of the addition I plan and how it is modular. As my
home is starting out at about 270 square feet inside, I understood their
concern.

Besides, it is my understanding that when you build a house in CA, for
instance you are hit with one square foot cost while if you add on your
cost is considerably less. I still need to check here in Oregon for that
but I believe it may hold true here as well. At any rate, it's nice to
be able to add on and who knows, maybe the additions could be added in
such a way as to include a walled courtyard here and a walled yard there
and eventually, the rectangular or square image gradually disappears
with the full blessing of the officials! :>)