[Cob] Engineered Cob House Plans

Janet Standeford janet.standeford at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 12:49:57 CST 2010

Hi Jill,

The little cottage page has an error.

I love what you guys are doing. I will take a copy of your email to the
Building Dept to show them the possibility of them becoming the first
Inspectors in Oregon to specialize in Natural Building. I hope you don't
mind. If you have your Inspector's email address, that would be very
helpful.

The more we can combine our resources, showing the desirability of cob
building, the better off we all are. I will be posting all my costs and
materials as well as pictures and the offer from my Civil Engineer of
the house plans. I  will also post the Building Dept contact information
so other Inspectors can communicate with them. What I have discovered is
that they really want to be of service. They just don't have the code or
experience to do it as willingly and freely as we would like.

I know we all would like to be as creative as we want and we are tired
of the rules and regs that are slowly choking the life out of us and it
would be life affirming to freestyle our homes but there are still an
enormous amount of people who don't agree with us. Part of ensuring the
growth and acceptance of cob building is to educate people. We can start
that at a local level. Getting the Natural/Green Building Shows involved
in all our permitted cob buildings will help spread that education. I've
spoken with countless acquaintances that have watched those shows and
they are excited about it.

One of the issues we need to overcome is* the fact *that nearly every
homeowner is burdened until death with mortgages that are super
inflated. What we are asking them to do is accept that their property
values would *potentially *go down if we are allowed to build in their
vicinity. Of course, their payments *will not go down*.

Of necessity, for the good of *all*, we must go about this as we are.
Slowly. For we are not just battling Building Codes. However, if enough
people lose their homes in a bad economy perhaps we can have growth
spurts that will jump start our way of building. We must be prepared for
this.

Maybe this generation will not see a major revolution in building but
perhaps we can greatly influence the lives and building practices of the
next generation and their future.

Just thinkin'