[Cob] forcing square cob home? Humboldt Alt Owner Builder code- get a copy

Charmaine Taylor dirtcheapbuilderbooks at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 14:37:07 CST 2010

 Damon Howell wrote:
   I'm sorry, but every time a new formless  building is erected with
>>>  cob a disservice is done to our current  predicament . That would be
>>>  that honest individuals who want to obey  the law cannot build
>>>  because most cobbers are looked at as clueless.

"our current  predicament "   Hummmm I am going to disagree.

 Is  autocratic enforcement of square building to "prove" something to
 building officials  the answer ?

we don't need more laws enforcing creative, hard working people to fit
a rigid,  codified system.  And why would you/anyone want  FORCE  the
people who ARE being resourceful, debt-hating, green minded builders
to build for   "OUR"  benefit?  Sounds communistic to me.

Yes it may slow the  acceptance and code  permission to build a
circular home, but what happened to just simple freedom?  Meeting
every other demand for safety is enough:  plumbing, septic,
electrical, etc.   Aren't cob homes in the round or spiral stronger
anyway?

Earthbags work great as infill to P&B framing too, but it should be a
free choice when it is your own money and sweat equity.

 I can EMAIL a copy  to anyone who asks of the 12-16 page Humboldt AOB
code ( alternative owner builder)

  it is mostly about  safety on placement of windows and doors for
egress in a fire,  septic/safe waste handling, plumb & elec so you
dont kill yourself or your family. Most builders I know are smart
enough  to want to  do better than the code and build a strong safe
home.

anyway I will email  it free upon request- just write AOB in the
subject so I know what you want.  I will ALSO send my older  website
page on Codes- 10 page doc of   US Counties with their own building
rules - from individual  people who wrote in to me and  explained
their own county rules-- not all  counties are covered, but enough
good info  to get a flavor of how different  the rules are USA wide.
it would be nice if someone had the incentive to host a web page and
offer a  builder contributed list  of county info-- in ONE place.

--
Conventional Home story-  A friend who was retiring 2 years ago  from
a lifetime of work, and following the rules,  bought a  modest,

So expensive on a fixed income  he can't really sell ( now upside down
in the mortgage by $35K too) and can't really afford to stay.. so  he
is locked in and limited to do anything fun or even travel much in the
'golden years' It may takes years or a decade to even sell, or take an
enormous hit on savings ( if any are left)

Being able to find land that allows for Alternative Owner Builder,
like a few counties in CA have, are where people are forced to build
already.  enforcing even more rules further kills off any incentive to
even try and build, which is maybe what the 'system' is based on....
be a lemming and get a mortgage?

Charmaine Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com<< new owner-- free shipping on DVDs, CDs!
http://www.amazon.com/shops/humboldtcoast