[Cob] Online database and discussions...

Benjamin Brownell benpbrown at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 15 10:08:39 CST 2010

I think a more formal and centralized online network for cobbers would be fantastic.  The modular social site templates that are available now can be freely adapted to such a purpose, and allow several ways for people to interact and gather info/experience.  A fine gentleman Paul has done just this for 'earthbaggers' recently:  http://earthbagnetwork.com/ and I think the potential is great, if inevitably slow to get going.  This sort of tool really encourages the 'open source' mentality around these adventurous constructions that can be invaluable in so many ways.  Growing and tapping the collective wisdom efficiently.  Collaborative efforts across distance and time.  Good fun, conversation and support amongst inconoclastic comrades!  The above site uses "elgg" and is a nice custom layout that requires independent setup and hosting.  Ning (.com) is an option that has readymade solutions available, entirely free if you will tolerate a touch of
 advertisement.  I have some experience in this realm and would be willing to work with others to put something together.
Please email me the info you mentioned. By the way, I am willing to host
a web site just for the Builder's information you mentioned.
If everyone here wants to use it I will go to the expense and time of
putting it up. We could also have pages within it for every known cob
project, past, present and future where you could write a synopsis of
your project, the cost, time, a few very informative pictures, your
Building Official's contact information, your contact information and a
finished picture of you with your home.

It would be nice if someone could volunteer some time and or money to
get it up and running and keep it rolling. It won't be too expensive as
I have hosting capability, in fact, if you donate $20 or more, I will
also provide you with your own website, email addresses, etc for two
years provided prices are not raised at the server level.

In about a month and a half I need to pay approx $250 to keep the hosting
going so that would help. I was looking at letting it go but in light of
this idea am
ready to sacrifice the time to put this together as well as work and build.

I put a website like this together in 1998 for political purposes but it
wasn't used so let that go. Any and all willing to to give input can do
so. In fact I can link to this list subscription so nothing need be lost
here and we can keep the site strictly for the information I mentioned.

Anyone else game?