[Cob] Test Bricks

Janet Standeford janet.standeford at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 17:30:18 CST 2010

Now I know the difference between mud bricks and cob. The site I
originally dug up provided such a beautiful mix of sand and clay that as
I kneaded it and then mixed in the straw, the feel of it was truely like
a sticky bread dough.

Then I tried dirt from another area and it was lifeless and muddy
instead of sticky. I made a brick from it anyway just to see the final
result comparisons.

If I didn't already plan on building with it, I would be hooked anyway.

Does anyone know how long these should dry before testing strength? They
are minis, actually round with one being three inches high and one being
3-1/2. They are 3" in dia.