[Cob] could cob be masonry

Dean Sherwin costman at verizon.net
Fri Feb 26 14:56:32 CST 2010

Well the description you have makes it sound more like
concrete...masonry is after all separate units.  that would be adobe
not cob.  Anyway i applaud the efforts to get code approval.
the bamboo question is interesting.  There's a guy who has done work
in Peru encouraging native builders to include bamboo reinforcement
in adobe houses to resist seismic activity.  It works too.
HOWEVER one of the great difficulties with bamboo is its hard
slippery exterior, which stops most things binding to it.  So if you
use split bamboo for the trellis, and not too much of it, there's
chance of success.  Although we know its not necessary, I understand
the thinking.  But large sections of smooth bamboo might actually
weaken the monolithic earth.
Dean PA/Devon UK