[Cob] Metal and Cob

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Sun Mar 14 05:12:05 CDT 2010

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010, David Anderson wrote:

> I was wondering if we could get a consensus on metal objects in cob.  I
> think this has been talked about here in the past so, in that case,
> someone could just summarize what was said.  In my mind I have
> conflicting ideas that I have read in different places saying both that
> metal will rust out in cob and others saying that it will be fine as the
> cob will keep it dry.

Hi David,

I doubt there is a single right answer, probably depends on your soil.
One case that I am aware of had metal embedded in a connection and it
completely corroded away in less than a year.  My recollection (which is
rather fuzzy) is that they were nails of some sort, and that it turned
out the soil used in the wall was somewhat acidic.

FWIW.

Phone: (800) 467-5820 |          - Natural Building Instruction -