[Cob] timberframe infill

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Mon Jun 28 14:20:22 CDT 2010

> I built a 20x24 timberframe using 10x10 white pine for the bottom
> plate which sits on concrete piers...The unsupported span would be
> 10ft max. Could I infill with cob directly or should I first add
> support under the bottom plate. Should I use a barrier between the
> wood and cob?

	You definitely want to support cob with a stronger foundation than
your timber frame. I would not build cob on concrete piers,
especially spaced 10 feet apart, because it will crack the cob and
possibly eventually collapse your building. If it was a continuous
foundation it would be ok. You wouldn't need a barrier between the
wood and cob. Seriously consider light straw clay instead of cob.
It's specifically for your project because cob is too heavy.

Damon