[Cob] Washington, DC area The new "Urban straw"

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Thu Jul 1 17:35:13 CDT 2010

	Has anyone noticed that when the big chippers used by landscaping
companies get dull they shred the wood instead of chipping it?  This
leaves lots of long straw-like fibers that have a tensile strength
that will put wheat straw to shame. I am in the process of building a
wood storage area consisting of a roof supported on cob columns and I
am using wood chips instead of straw for a couple layers of my
columns. I use a 5 horse power cultivator or rototiller to mix the
mud and the wood chip cob seems to work and shape just like chopped
straw. Walking on the mud does not seem to be a problem either. I am
planning to mix up another batch on Sunday morning. It will take
about an hour to mix and apply a layer of wood chip cob.
	I will also be mixing and applying earth plaster Made from the other
urban straw, shredded paper. Anyone wishing to help or just watch is
welcomed to stop by. I am one mile north of Mt. Vernon Estate on the
G.W. Parkway. Call for directions if you are interested 703-360-2316.

Ed