[Cob] Cob photos

Rob Hayes editable7 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 3 13:18:23 CDT 2010

Hey Henry,
Thanks for those photos.
It really looks like the wood chipper of yours is actually shattering the wood.  There is alot of surface area for the clay to attach which seems like it might help with the cob strength too?  The wood pile shed of yours is a clever idea and since we have a pile of treated fence poles here too maybe we should imitate your design.

  Also, the woodchip texture you've obtained seems ideal for the Jean Pain method.  We will have to arrange for the use of a chipper like yours this fall in order to make the mass of compost to provide our heat.  I wonder, could you tell me what make & model your chipper is?  I'd like to imitate the texture you've gotten up here in Phila. this fall.
  I wonder if that chipper of yours has ever processed the older coarse chips a second time?  That's what we are faced with here in order to deal with all the "donated" chips which come from the landscapers and tree surgeons who avoid their tip charges by dumping chips on our garden.  The coarser materials need to be chipped a 2nd time to make the chips biologically active enough to work in the eventual 50 ton compost pile.  We'll pile them on an old garage "pad" in an 18 foot diameter pile 11 feet high.  The expense of the coil of 1 1/4 pipe will be worth it if the compost can heat up the water inside.
   I'm scrambling up the learning curve here about wood chippers.  If you can help inform us about them, I'll know how much fundraising to do this summer.
Maybe we should be shopping for one like yours?
thanks again,