[Cob] Coblist Digest, Vol 8, Issue 112

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Sat Jul 3 10:23:12 CDT 2010

Since photographs are not allowed on the Cob list this letter has two
versions one with pictures and one with out.  If anyone want the
version with pictures please, send me a request off the list.
Thank you,

Ed :

Heather, First I should clarify that the word "columns" does not
refer to columns in the conventional sense I am building a stand
alone fire wood shelter which will be resistant to wind and rain and
yet open on both sides to allow the wood to dry. as such the "columns
are actually L-shaped and T-shaped wall segments which will support
salvaged 2" x 8" x 12' roof beams. The footings are salvaged
cinderblocks so the wall segments are 8" thick and 40" front to back.
Note Figs. 1, 2, and 3

Fig. 1 Wood Storage area

Fig. 2 T-shaped column

Fig. 3 L-shaped column

If you are interested in conventional thin columns the first
structure that I worked on with Ianto Evans included a wall with
window mullions that were 4" x 12" x 4' and when I went to visit cob
cottage in Coquile, OR I noticed additional mullions that were 4" x
12" x 6'-7', However when it comes to very tall very thin columns it
is much better to just find an attractive piece of split wood and use
that.
Note Figs 4, 5, 6.

Fig. 4 Sook, BC, Canada

Tool Library in Coquille, OR

Column made from attractive piece of split wood

Rob: Regarding the wood fibers they were produced by a conventional
6" wood chipper with a gear driven feeder. My friend Robert bought
this chipper about 6 months ago and at that time the blades were
brand new and he produced neat well defined wood chips, but as the
chipper got older and the blades became worn and out of alignment the
chipper stopped producing neat chips and started producing shreds of
wood instead.
Note Figs 7, 8, 9

  Fig 7 Early chips

Fig. 8 Later chips