[Cob] Mix

Janet Standeford janet.standeford at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 13:32:46 CDT 2010

Thanks, and I call them flakes as well. All the ranchers do that I know of.

Now my walls will be three feet thick at the base and taper on the
inside to 2 feet at the top. The interior measurements are 25 x 10 with
an 8 x 10 bedroom off one back corner. The highest (south) wall will be
14 feet high and the lowest (north) wall is about 8 feet high.

The clay is sandy clay and is great. I made some awesome strong
cylinders though one came apart straight across at about the middle.
Guess there was too much straw in that? The 2 sections are really strong.

How thick are your walls?

On 7/18/2010 11:08 AM, Dulane wrote:
> Amazingly, I only used about 3 sixty pound bales in my whole (12x12) cob
> house. I probably did it wrong, but after I mixed my clay and sand (which is
> specific to the local materials) I added 1/10 the total mass of straw. Which
> was like a 3" flake per 40-50 lb load.

Janet Standeford OR
www.buildingnaturally.info (Owned by you)
A resource for healthy homes.