[Cob] Mix

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Sun Jul 18 17:26:59 CDT 2010

	"three feet thick"!!!!? Wow that is very ambitious and a lot of
mixing. With good cob, you could support a 5 story building with that
wall. Even with fair quality cob that seems excessive.
	I have a picture of a slightly larger building that Ianto built. The
walls are about 2 foot thick, but at least one foot of that thickness
is a wall of straw bales. It has many times the insulating value of a
3 foot thick wall of cob and plenty of strength to support the roof,
and the 8-12 inches of cob has more than enough bio-mass to store a
day's worth of solar heat. You have to buy a lot of straw, but I
think you will get your money back in lowering the amount of wood you
need to cut to heat your building.
	Also, consider a front tine tiller or cultivator if you are going to
mix that much cob. I doubt that two people can foot mix that much cob
in one season and still have time to do the roof and all the other
stuff you need.
Ed