[Cob] Cob on a north slope CA mass inefficiency

Janet Standeford janet.standeford at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 11:40:45 CDT 2010

Hi Barbara,Thank you for the input.

Actually, the only thing different for me regarding the LaPorte home is
I'm not buying a ready made stove. I have repeatedly stated I am
building a "Baffled Fireplace" with a well fitted damper and a custom
glass front with adjustable vents. This fireplace will function just
like the baffled stove you mentioned. I even intend to extend those
baffles into the walls if Shane will approve it. Don't see why he wouldn't.

Someone just wrote me that pipes to heat the floor are known to cause
thrombosis to will put those into the walls close to the interior as well.

I am using a LOT of straw in the sandy clay which is at least half clay.
That's why I just bought so much straw.

My foundation is going to be insulated per the County and also per the
County, my roof is going to be heavily insulated.

I will also have an electric thermostatically controlled heater or two
per the County.

This is a home engineered by a Civil/Structural Engineer and the County
will be approving my plans. They know this area as well as I do and they
won't allow me to do anything that is out of line. They are always
watching out for energy consumption as well.

I prefer temps between 50 and 65 so nobody needs to worry about me
burning too many trees.

I will build ALL cob above ground and up to the roof and have it
permitted. Under ground will be the insulated foundation, earthbags and
rocks. In the walls will be poles to support the roof and for tie downs.

Janet Standeford OR
www.buildingnaturally.info (Owned by you)
A resource for healthy homes.