[Cob] Lime Putty

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Fri Jul 30 20:40:09 CDT 2010

It depends! You might be able to do it with one bag or you could
consume dozens of bags.
	If you want to be cheap, you can first fill in all the wall
irregularities with some form of earth plaster and use the lime as a
paint. I have just done the outside of my 10 x 36 foot walkout area
with one drywall bucket full of lime. I used paper/clay/sand plaster
to completely cover and finish all the walls then I diluted the lime
with water and brushed it on with a firm brush. I have also used
earth plaster made with horse shit. Both take lime paint well, but I
like paper plaster better.

	I also have a 10 x 12 foot wall that was unfinished and infested
with mason bees. I used five times as much lime mixing it with sand
and applying it as a thick layer of putty to exclude the bees and
fill in their holes.

	The question you are asking is impossible to answer or even guess at
with out knowing how irregular the surface of your wall is and how
thick you intend to apply the plaster. I believe that earth plasters
bond better to cob than lime plasters and crack less so usually I
favor an earth plaster of some sort followed by lime, and the lime
can be as thin as a layer of paint with or with out sand mixed in.
	I have had no problems with my lime over earth plaster walls, but my
walls are very sheltered. I have only one small area that is not
sheltered, and I do not know how well lime paint will do exposed to
weather because I just did it a couple weeks ago.  George
Washington's wooden home at Mount Vernon is more than 90% original
wood and it is protected only by a lime and sand paint. Based on that
fact I have high hopes for my lime paint.

Ask me how the lime paint is doing five years from now. Time will tell!

Ed