[Cob] Mosaics in the shower

Jill Hogan jill.hogan at mat.org.za
Wed Aug 18 15:01:00 CDT 2010

  The stabiled bricks might be the problem. If I am right they have
cement in them. We do a lot of resortration in McGregor the village I
live in. McGregor is the best preserved Victorian Villages in South
Africa and we have the highest percentage of earth houses in SA. We are
running a resortation programme as many of the houses are in serious
need of repair and all of them are losing plaster with cement in it.
This belief that cement makes stronger we are daily seeing is a myth. It
is not compatable with mud and parts company with the walls. My house
not only has lime render walls but I have lime rendered the roof as
well. There are pictures on my home page www.mat.org.za This roof has
been up for about four years, but we paint it every year before the
rainy season, with the mixture  I mentioned earlier, . Also because of
our extremes in temp it does throw out cracks but the lime paint closes
these up. I work on the prinicipal  that stalagmites and stalagitites
are formed by lime rich water dripping leaving the lime behind and as
lime hardens by taking carbon dioxide out of the air so it once again
becomes lime stone, the roof must eventually become like rock Whew, /I
hope!!!!/