[Cob] psi testing

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Sun Sep 19 09:44:08 CDT 2010

	I have a room that is 10 ft. wide and 36 ft. long. Two 8 inch thick
cob walls are supporting a 12 foot wide living roof. (The US standard
for such a roof is an assumption of 50 pounds per square foot.)  Take
a 10 ft. X 12 ft. segment of the roof structure 10' X 12' X 50 lb. :
You have a calculated weight of 6000 pounds for 120 square foot of
roof. Divide this by 16 inches (the thickness of the two supporting
walls) x 120 inches (the number of inches in a 10 ft. segment of
wall) i.e. 1920 square inches in two 10 foot wall segments. You will
get a load of 3.125 pounds per square inch. Why would you need a load
bearing strength of 350 psi (pounds per square inch)? Or, What sort
of structure would require a strength of 350 psi.?
	For my structure 350 psi. would give me an 11200% safety margin.
Does that sound right to you? I don't usually bother with such
calculations because I assume some future owner will do something
really stupid like running a lawn sprinkler against the wall. Then of
course all bets are off.
	Is this a code requirement for earth walls? It seems rather
arbitrary to apply something like this to cob unless you are pushing
limits which should not be pushed.

Ed