[Cob] Woodworm treatment (Susan Hagan)

Dean Sherwin costman at verizon.net
Sun Sep 19 19:34:29 CDT 2010

I had an old barn I converted (in the US) and there was infestation
that seemed to be still active, I treated it with liberal
applications of a penetrating oil, I do not think I used anything
very toxic.  But that was I think powder post beetles, whereas you
being in Europe more likely have as you say woodworm, anobium
punctatum.  We used to painstakingly treat that with a small brush
and furniture beetle oil (Rentokil brand in UK) pushing it into each
hole especially if active (you can tell by the newness of the wood)
(If the holes are dark and old, don't bother)  But honestly I do not
know if it is necessary to be so fastidious.   the other experience
makes me think it may be enough to saturate the wood as much as
possible with a pesticide oil. Or maybe just a penetrating type of
oil.   Perhaps your neighbors know what is effective there. It takes
a good deal of infestation to make oak beams structurally unsound.

At 03:00 PM 9/19/2010, you wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>

>Does anyone have experience and knowledge about treating wood worm
>in old oak beams?
>

>Thanks in advance,

Dean Sherwin