[Cob] Question concerning wood fiber cob

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Wed Sep 29 14:40:54 CDT 2010

	No there isn't, but all of the wood fibers that I have seen so far
are stronger than any straw that I have ever seen.
	The pile of shredded wood in my photo essay is 100% willow oak, and
my friend Robert produced that entire pile from one normal day of
removing unwanted trees from people's yards. Robert uses a six inch
Vermeer shredder with auto-feed, but I have seen similar chips
produced by other chippers and other types of wood.
	Not all wood is acceptable. Sometimes his chipper will produce short
fat chips and I would not attempt to use those, but if you look at
the wood in the "hand full picture" it looks just like straw only
finer and stronger.
	For people living in areas of the country where there is no straw I
would start by looking around to see what sort of wood fibers are
available then making a few test bricks and breaking them to see what
physical properties you could expect with different amounts of clay
and sand. Then, if you can build an experimental structure, go for
it. You can always use another storage building or chicken coop.
Mixing with a rototiller makes cobing with a small crew fun and easy.
If your experimental structure works out, you will know as much as I
do about using wood fibers in cob.

ED