[Cob] Anyone know what kind of Rye is suitable for thatch roofing?

Monica Proulx mon.pro at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 18:06:23 CDT 2010

Cat,

The Landis Valley Farm Museum "Heirloom Seed Project" (Lancaster County, Pa)
sells heirloom winter rye (suitable for thatching) for $2.00/5 lbs. Phone
number for the seed project is: 717-569-0401 (ext. 204).  Maybe they give
bulk discounts if people tell them they need it for thatching. This is a
living history museum, they're into promoting these kinds of skills, so who
knows?

Description of heirloom seed varieties (winter rye is near the bottom, this
is where they say it's good for thatching):
http://www.landisvalleymuseum.org/seeddescriptions.pdf

Seed brochure with prices, including rye (ordering info included):
http://www.landisvalleymuseum.org/2010seeds.pdf

This is the same heirloom rye seed they grow for their own thatching
projects, which I know because my son harvested the rye crop two summers ago
by hand and bundled some of it for their next project (I helped bundle, so
can vouch for the length).  They had a small hay derrick to thatch this past
spring/summer.

Good luck!
Monica Proulx

P.S. If anyone wants to double check the rye info or bulk pricing, the name
of the fellow that runs that program escapes me, but ask to talk to the guy
in charge of the draft animals and growing the rye for thatching. Tell him
you bring greetings from Ben the volunteer from two summers ago if you call
him, don't know if that will help you out any but it can't hurt). They may
know who sells other suitable thatching grasses, or you could contact Seed
Savers Exchange in Iowa (another heirloom seed source), they don't sell the
rye but might be a good resource.

Landis Valley Farm main page (Harvest Days are coming up in October, its
fantastic, if anyone lives near Pa.): http://www.landisvalleymuseum.org