[Cob] cob in Haiti

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Mon Nov 15 20:24:08 CST 2010

Nilsa: I have a friend (Desta) who went to Haiti to build earth bag
houses. When he got there the group he was with were told or decided
that earth bag construction would cause too much erosion. That sounds
suspicious and even bogus to me. Take a look at "Rainwater Harvesting
for Drylands and Beyond" by Brad Lancaster: If you can farm a piece
of land or build on it, it seems to me that you can dig water
harvesting trenches, and if you can do that you can build with cob or
earth bags, but I might be wrong that is why I would like to talk to
someone who is there or who has been there.
	My feeling is that we should do nothing for Haitians that they can
do for them selves. What might be more appropriate is to send someone
to Haiti who understands appropriate technology:  Cob, earth bag,
rainwater harvesting, Lorna stoves, humanure... to see which
technologies really apply. Then we need to train a number of Creole
speaking teachers and pay their salaries to go around and teach for a
year. Then assess this program to see if it is having any effect.
	I am not the best person for that job, but theoretically I have the
money, the time and the ability to go to Haiti and teach classes in
all of the above but in English not Creole and considering the
circumstances I fear that my efforts would have little effect. I
would do better by just sending the money that I would have spent on
the air fair.

Ed