[Cob] cob in Haiti

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Mon Nov 15 14:43:43 CST 2010

All countries have impoverished residents. I believe many poor folks
don't build cob because they simply don't know how. As I understand
of Haiti, there was a handful of rich folk and the rest lived in
poverty. I know earth is used as material in many places around the
world but I also see some derelict houses in the place I live
(Jasper, GA) and ask God why our government doesn't allow them to
build with earth and relieve their stress. Think of how much more
productive they would be in their lives. A solid home raises the
spirit a lot. I would most definitely share my knowledge and help
them rebuild their home if only it was legal, but it's not here in
the U.S.A anyway. I've always heard the best leaders lead by example.
The illegal cob homes popping up are examples that it works. We would
never improve anything if we didn't experiment with new methods. But
somehow earth building has been banned in the US. Experimental
structures go a long way in teaching others about cob but every time
someone inhabits a house which isn't approved by the government it
makes it nearly impossible for the next guy that tries to do the
right thing and asks permission. Lets try to put a better face on cob
than something built by a bunch of anarchists please.
Damon