[Cob] Mysterious foundation moisture issue -- rising damp?

Michael Cantrell mscantrell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 14:46:37 CST 2011

 Ziggy,
I'm going to go with condensation, too. If one area of the walls is
noticeably cooler, and that's the area that's wet, that's a strong clue.

What sources of humidity are there inside?
You cook outside only, right? Are you cooking anything on top of the
woodstove? (I'm loosely familiar with the layout from your blog.)
Drying any wet clothes?
There's no shower inside, right?

In that small of a space, just two people's breathing is going to get you
some moisture in the air... and that's a hard one to stop!

There are several direction you could approach the problem from:
-getting the air drier
-getting the wall warmer
-getting the air so much warmer that it won't condense on the wall
-letting it condense but keeping it from doing any harm

Good luck, looking forward to hearing how you solve it!

Mike In Ark