[Cob] Mysterious foundation moisture issue -- rising damp?

Bernhard Masterson bernhard_masterson at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 26 11:02:03 CST 2011

Hi Brian,
  From my experience it is a safe bet that your moisture issue is condensation. Especially if you see droplets of water on the urbanite.  If it were wicking water it would merely be damp.  Solutions are insulation, especially exterior, increased air flow and air temperature to raise the relative humidity and temperature of the wall and urbanite above the dew point.  Because concrete is crystalline in nature it is a far better conductor of heat than amophus cob.  This means that the urbanite is conducting heat out of the cottage which results in lower temperatures of the urbanite on the interior.
   Insualtion options are ridgid foam (most insulative and durable), hemp lime or sawdust lime mixes.  Hemp lime actually foams slightly as a result of a reaction between hemp and lime.
Ensuring that the exterior soil is as dry as possible is also a prudent action to take but not likely your primary issue.

- Bernhard

Get under a sustainable lifestyle umbrella, the carbon is going to hit the fan.

____________________________________http://bernhardmasterson.com

Natural building instruction and consultation