[Cob] A cleaner cob oven for the future

Bill Christensen billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Mon Feb 7 04:19:37 CST 2011

On 4/5/10 5:04 PM, Ray Cirino wrote:
> Dear Cobbers,
> I'm days away from test firing this inner chamber cob oven and wantd to share the news. If it works as I know it will, you'll be creating these incerts like this stainless steel igloo shape. The heat from the fire is rapid and I see closing the stack after the fire is out to hols in the heat. Otherwise you burn for hours with black smoke killing the atmosphere. SunRay Kelly will tell you as well, we have junkyards here in LA that have it all that can change the way we build.
>
> http://people.tribe.net/raycirino/photos/ec9b6a37-4e7a-41cd-be13-6f4aeee03a77
>
> The Mad Scientist,
> Ray

Hi Ray,

I've got some questions about your rocket cob oven that I haven't been
able to figure out from your images or your emails to the list. I'm
thinking about building one, possibly using a blown-out well pressure
(bladder) tank, which should be available free or cheap from some of the
well drillers around here (or Freecycle), and should be available in
about the right size, with a base made in part from some scavanged AAC
block.

How do you maintain a gap between the metal insert and the cob while
building? How big of a gap do you use?

Your photo page vaguely mentions that the oven dome is brick and cob -
or maybe I'm reading that wrong, and the brick is used in the base.
Where and how are the bricks involved?

I'm not sure I understand what's up with the teardrop steamer. Can you
explain in more detail what's up with that?

Thanks!