[Cob] floors- cob-lime

Jill Hogan jill.hogan at mat.org.za
Sat Feb 19 03:58:32 CST 2011

I have natural floors, 200mm of stone compacted, then 100mm of cob, and
then 1/2 inch lime plaster screed onto the floor and scratched for a for
then second layer of lime render, if your cob is dry, you can walk on
the render next day. We usually leave it for about a week and then put
the final scree of lime render on. Can walk onb this in about 5 days to
a week. I then leave it as long as possible  to dry, some times only
weeks some places months, then we seal it with linseed oil and bees wax
and my floors are beautiful and long lasting. The lime render is 1 lime,
3 a good building sand(what you might call a river sand with a 1 - 10
varient of particles) and a half earth. If it has a high contect of clay
use less if the earth has a high content of sand use more earth with
clay. Do teat patches, if it cracks too much clay if it is sand too much
sand.
Enjoy your floors
JIll

--
*Jill Hogan*
McGregor Alternative Technology Centre "MAT"

www.mat.org.za <http://www.mat.org.za>
Phone: 023 625 1533

Signature

"Be the change you wish to see" Mohandas Ghandi

If you do not wish to receive these mails, email us with unsubscribe in
the subject. Thanks