[Cob] floor finishes

Benjamin Brownell benpbrown at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 19 13:39:27 CST 2011

Doni Kiffmeyer was experimenting with it (or planning to) a couple years ago when he helped me with a large adobe floor in Utah. I haven't heard reports. I imagine it would still need to be well sealed to keep from flaking and releasing dust (caustic) over time. In our case, we worked a patchy thin skin of Kaolin clay into the finish plaster as it was drying for a nice marbled effect that also lightened the final color tone considerably (even after oil/wax coats). There's always the time-tested, globally approved dung-slip technique...