[Cob] I promised details

Janet Standeford janet.standeford at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 19:51:57 CST 2011

Hi everyone,
OK, I promised details so this will be it in a nutshell. Later, if
Publishers still exist, I will write a book about this entire experience.

As for the permit, it will be paid for within a month or two though it
is approved for me already. I have been asked for the permit online
though I am not sure why. When I receive it I will make a copy for you.

My Civil Engineer put plans together for me after I'd already installed
the septic system and gotten approval on it. I had also kept my permits
going since August of 2005 for the Planning Dept.

The house plans submitted are a rather eclectic combination of things
including a wood riser and earthbags in the foundation up to the riser.

This was before I discovered the R value of cob which is R19 for 20
inches. An energy model was done for this in Arizona and as the
information came from a Building Dept Official, my Building Dept
accepted the information and approved my plans within 3 weeks of
receiving it.

My Civil Engineer, Shane Earp, said we will adjust the plans as we go
and as everything will meet code it will not be a problem.

He is doing this for me free so there probably won't be another set of
plans showing the real thing which will be 36 inch walls at the base and
24 inches at the top. The walls will slope to the outside and be
straight up and down on the outside to accommodate the poles which will
hold the ceiling. The earthbags will only go to just above ground over
the stem wall foundation and insulation with rock on each side. The rock
will go up about two feet above ground. There will be NO riser.

The house will have a rumford fireplace in an oval shape and will be
made entirely out of fire cob with the proper fittings of course. I'll
put in an air grate at the back with slider and will obtain a glass
stand to go in front, I hope to have one custom made to fit the opening
to slow down the burn at night and when I am gone.

The floor will be cob and the roof will be shed style, 14' high on the
South side and about 10' at the North side. A bedroom 10 x 8 will be on
the North East end leaving room for a courtyard with a cob oven and cob
walls.

A cistern to hold (hopefully) 10,000 gals will be above the house with
proper precautions of course.

If anyone needs more information, please feel free to ask.