[Cob] Joe Kennedy comments on biochar in earth ovens

Joseph Kennedy livingearth62 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 25 14:03:41 CDT 2011

Dear Shawn,

I have been inspired by your low-tech stuff, and am going to integrate the door design into my new oven under construction with high school students.

However, it seems a waste to make biochar unless you are using that heat to heat up the oven for other purposes.

To me the ideal would be to make a biochar chamber below the oven (like in Ray Cirino's example) to create efficient heat and biochar at the same time.  Any ideas on this option?  I can play around with this idea, since my oven is still under construction.

I love the mad science going on!

All the best,

Joe Kennedy

PS.  I just published an article of my earth oven odessey at Kiko Denzer's site.  It has the plans of my latest oven.
http://www.handprintpress.com/ovens/an-earthen-oven-odyssey-by-joe-kennedy/