[Cob] The matter of insulation. :)

Shawn King sbkingster at gmail.com
Wed May 11 13:35:33 CDT 2011

I find the grab to be pretty good, at least on the earthen oven, but
building the clay straw simultaneously with the cob, and working the
clay straw a bit into the outer inch of the cob would be better.  If
you are adding the clay straw after your wall is built, build upwards
just like it is cob, starting at or near max thickness at the base,
doing a lift of 6-10 inches, then letting it dry/set up before doing
another lift. The clay straw will have lots of air pockets and
crannies for each subsequent layer to grip as you go up.  I recommend
not adding a thin layer to your entire cob wall, then another thin
layer, etc. like you would a normal plaster.  I can try and draw what
I mean and send it to you if that would help. Tapering walls a little
as you go up is often a good idea as long as you don't loose too much
width near the top for supporting the weight of a roof.  Under 8
inches thick for a non-curved wall not recommended.

Other than that, max your passive solar arrangement.  You may already
familiar with all this. South wall should be where your windows are,
outsulate the other walls and not the south (unless the whole building
is shaded in winter), minimal windows on the north wall.  I have an
idea for what I call a tromb wall bay for adding passive solar glass
to a wall without making another window, but I haven't drawn or built
it yet.  I am so bad at drawing that it is often easier to just build
a model and take pictures!