[Cob] R-Value: effective versus actual

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Sun May 15 23:53:47 CDT 2011

I am concerned that some people may have gotten the wrong impression about
cob r-values in the context of recent discussions, so I thought some
clarification was in order.

Some simplified definitions:

   R-value: A measure of a material's resistance to transfering heat
            from one side of the material to the other side.  This is the
            material's "actual" R-value.

   Effective R-value: the R-value a material will "appear" to have when
            measured in a specific context.

Cob's actual r-value depending on the mix will have a rough order of
magnitude in the 0.3 per inch range.  This means we could expect an 18"
thick wall might be around R-6

So where do all these high r-values you keep hearing about come from?  The
key is "Effective R-value" and the phrase "specific context".  In the real
world, temperatures fluctuate a great deal and conventional houses use
heating and cooling systems to deal with these changes.  This is where
thermal mass can be a big win.

To give a simplified example, suppose you live in a climate which never
changes and all year round the temperature drops down to 60 deg. F at
night and climbs to 90 deg. F each afternoon.  For each 24 hour period,
the temperature average is 70 deg. F (due to differences between how long
we are at the maximum and minimum temperatures).  In a conventional house
with the thermostat set to 72 deg. F, you would be running airconditioning
in the afternoon to keep the temperature down and at night running the
heating system to keep the temperature up.  In a cob house (in our
simplified example), the temperature of the cob would remain close to
the 70 deg. F outside average temperature at all times, so you would only
use a little bit of energy to raise the temperature in the house from 70
to 72 deg. F.  The result is that even though cob is a very poor
insulator, the cob house would use only as much energy for heating
and cooling as a building with a lot of insulation, giving it a very high
"effective r-value".

Now change our example so that the outside temperature is always 60 deg.
F or always 90 deg. F year round.  Now our cob building will behave just
like its actual R-value of around 0.3 per inch because we aren't gaining
any energy savings from the thermal mass stabilizing temperature swings.

In reality, effective r-value is much more complicated, because we can use
overhangs, trombe walls, mass floors and glass to increase winter thermal
gain and damp summer heat.  In addition, the local climate will make an
enormous difference.  A location which gets bitterly cold in winter, but
has a couple hours of sun almost every days may allow for much better
effective r-values than a location which never gets below freezing, but
has heavy cloud cover which blocks the sun for most of the winter.

So effective r-value depends not just on the materials you are using, but
the design of the building and the climate you are building in.

It is the "effective r-value" that is being used in the context of Janet's
code approved cob building project.

Phone: (800) 467-5820 |          - Natural Building Instruction -