[Cob] R-Value: effective versus actual

Howard Switzer howard at earthandstraw.com
Mon May 16 11:19:08 CDT 2011

Wonderful information, thank you Shannon.

I would add, and you probably all know this, that my experience with radiant
heat, which is what we are talking about, is that the comfort level might be
below the 72 mark.  My home has radiant floor heating in a slab with bale
walls and it is often too hot at 72 and I prefer it down around 65 because
of the warm surfaces all around in the house, the floor and 1.5" thick
plaster. Not having such cold surfaces around means my body heat isn't going
anywhere fast, except maybe toward the windows. I did a high mass passive
solar home in 1980 for Albert Bates mother, Dorothy Bates, that was that way
also.  She was an elderly woman, a retired successful realtor, who wrote
books on  vegetarian cooking and was impressed with how well it worked and
how comfortable her rooms were at 65.  Thermal mass along with passive solar
design should have become a convention in the building industry years ago.