[Cob] R-Value: effective versus actual

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Mon May 16 18:43:42 CDT 2011

On Mon, 16 May 2011, Howard Switzer wrote:

[snip]
> I would add, and you probably all know this, that my experience with radiant
> heat, which is what we are talking about, is that the comfort level might be
> below the 72 mark.  My home has radiant floor heating in a slab with bale
[snip]

I picked 72 as an arbitrary common "room temperature", comfort is really
all about what you are used to, though other factors often figure in as
well such as humidity or forced air versus radiant heat (forced air
creates a wind chill effect leaving you feeling colder at the same
temperature).

Years ago while I was in Cairo on business for six weeks, there was an
unseasonal cold snap where the temperatures dropped down to about 65 deg
F.  Suddenly, it seemed like everyone on the street was wearing big puffy
down jackets.  To me this was summer weather.  My house is currently
at 58 deg. F (the warmest it has been in six months) which I now find
quite comfortable because I forced myself to live with colder temperatures
until I got used to them.

Phone: (800) 467-5820 |          - Natural Building Instruction -