[Cob] building

Janet Standeford janet.standeford at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 23:03:16 CDT 2011

On 6/8/2011 1:25 PM, Damon Howell wrote:
> What say y'all about holding the roof up on posts and cobbing around
> the posts? Do you think that kind of plan would get approval of
> building officials?
My plans were approved with wood corners but the plans are changed now.
Even the logs that replaced the stick wood corners are being removed.
> One of the things I would worry about if I didn't know about cob would
> be its ability to hold up the roof, 1, and it's insulation properties.
Nabil Taha is going to make 240 psi work to hold up the roof. The one
concession it looks like we will make is concrete on the top of the wall
to hold the roof down. Not sure on that yet.

As for the R value, effective R value is as good as regular R value to a
building dept. 20 inches is R 19 according to an energy model.
> Otherwise I'll be building a 2 ft. thick wall that would never heat up
> with the sun.
Why will a 2 ft. thick wall not heat in the sun, Damon?