[Cob] finishing the floor review

Dulane silkworm at spiderhollow.com
Thu Jun 23 17:00:27 CDT 2011

The first couple of times that I put a linseed oil and orange oil mix on the
floor, you could watch the drying process. It took maybe a day to watch it
dry. But it begins to darken with several layers.

That being said, my floor was still wet deeper inside...and I wish it had
dried more, but we had a very cool damp summer last year. Finally, almost a
year later (after a very wet winter/spring) my floor is completely dry.

When you mix the linseed oil and orange oil (thinner each time) you will
realize that you don't need a bunch...depending on how big your floor is. I
started with a quart of orange oil and I barely used half of it. I also had
a bunch of linseed oil left over, too, but I started with a gallon.

You will need much less beeswax than you think. I doubt if I used a pound,
maybe half that.

After you are done oiling it, wait at least 2 more days before you wax it.
Or try to do it when you are having a nice warm dry spell. Then wait for a
full day before you buff it. Use a hair drier or a heat gun on any spot
where wax has built up. I used an old towel to buff it, and I got terry
cloth fibers mixed in. But they swept off eventually.

When I got the wax on, the floor squeaked when I walked on it. The wax is
very protective.