[Cob] finishing the floor review

Bernhard Masterson bernhard_masterson at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 23 16:08:51 CDT 2011

Hi Tys,

I wouldn't recommend thinning the oil.  Earthen floors are so porous that linseed oil penetrates just fine on its own.  What you want instead is to just take a morning or afternoon and oil the heck out of the floor getting as much penetration as you can by reapplying oil as the floor soaks it up.  Beeswax is added to warm oil but only small amounts like 1/4 cup wax to 2 cups oil.  A little goes a LONG way.  Beeswax has the disadvantage of being slightly sticky and can cause furniture to stick to the floor and potentially pull up chunks when moved.  Look at Landarknw.com for some excellent floor oils, waxes, and numbers to calculate quantities.  Landark's products will give you harder and more durable floors and finishes than simple linseed oil and beeswax.

- Bernhard

Get under a sustainable lifestyle umbrella, the carbon is going to hit the fan.

____________________________________http://bernhardmasterson.com

Natural building instruction and consultation